For the 2020 program year, the Forest of Reading consolidated its two school-aged non-fiction programs, the Silver Birch Non-Fiction Award and the Red Maple Non-Fiction Award, into one award – the Yellow Cedar Award for Grades 5-8.
The 2020 nominees include:
- Too Young to Escape: A Vietnamese Girl Waits to be Reunited with Her Family (winner)
- Be Prepared! The Frankie MacDonald Guide to Life, the Weather, and Everything
- Extreme Abilities: Amazing Human Feats and the Simple Science Behind Them
- Follow Your Stuff: What Makes It, Where Does It Come From, How Does It Get To You?
- Hayley Wickenheiser: Amazing Hockey Stories
- Highrise: The Towers in the World & The World in the Towers
- Hubots: Real-World Robots Inspired by Humans
- Killer Style: How Fashion Has Injured, Maimed, and Murdered Through History
- My River: Cleaning Up the LaHave River